Hook Norton
Pets: 01608 730501
Equine & Farm: 01608 730085
Charlbury
Pets: 01608 811250
Deddington
Pet: 01869 337732
Emergencies
01608 730085 / 730501

News

Antifreeze is extremely toxic to cats!

November 8, 2018 | by verity.ramus@hooknortonvets.co.uk | Pets

Ethylene glycol (Antifreeze) is a chemical used in screen
washes, water features and car de-icers.

Cats are often attracted to antifreeze because of its sweet taste. Even licking antifreeze can induce severe kidney damage and or death. Often ingestion of antifreeze is detected once the animal has already become severely ill. The best chance of survival is if you witness the ingestion and immediately seek veterinary treatment.

Signs of poisoning can seen as quickly as 30 minutes post ingestion:
»Drunk/uncoordinated
»Seizures
»Vomiting
»Dyspnoea (difficulty breathing)

Do not use products containing antifreeze.
If you own antifreeze keep securely away from children and animals.
Wastage should be cleaned immediately and cats stopped from accessing area until dry.
Check your car for leaks.

SEEK VETERINARY ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY IF INGESTION IS SUSPECTED

Written by verity.ramus@hooknortonvets.co.uk

 Back to news
 

Categories

Sign up to our newsletters

Select the newsletters you'd like to receive

 Facebook


Hook Norton Pets: 01608 730501 Equine & Farm: 01608 730085
Charlbury Pets: 01608 811250
Deddington Pets: 01869 337732
Emergencies 01608 730085 / 730501
Get in touch Send us a message